We recognize that learning takes place in a variety of places both in and outside a traditional classroom. That’s why we work with students to maximize their prior college and professional experiences for college credit toward their degree at Thomas University.
In addition to transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions, TU also awards credit for military experience, law enforcement training and other prior learning experiences.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DSST/DANTES)
- Advanced Placement (AP) program
- Employer training programs (many large employers have training programs that have been evaluated for credit)
- Industry specific certifications are often evaluated for college credit.
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) portfolios. Students with extensive experience and knowledge may choose to develop portfolios for college credit.
For successful graduation from a police academy as a certified law enforcement officer with 600 or more training hours, credit will be awarded toward course work in the Associate Degree in Law Enforcement or Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. Students completing Correction Officer training are also awarded college credit.
Please submit a copy of your transcript and/or Peace Officer Standards Training (POST) for evaluation.
Additionally, students employed at partner law enforcement and corrections agency are eligible for a tuition discount of $250 per credit hour. The following agencies have active agreements with Thomas University:
- Albany (Georgia) Police Department
- Bartlow-Cartersville (Georgia) Drug Task Force
- Euharlee (Georgia) Police Department
- Forsyth (Georgia) Police Department
- Georgia Department of Corrections
- Glynn County (Georgia) Police Department
- Leon County (Florida) Sheriff's Office
- Muscogee County (Georgia) Sheriff's Office
- Rome (Georgia) Police Department
- Thomasville (Georgia) Police Department
- Toombs County (Georgia) Sheriff Department
- Vidalia (Georgia) Police Department
If your agency is interested in a formal partnership agreement, please contact email@example.com.
As a Top 10 Military Friendly School, we understand the significance of your military training and will accept up to 64 credits from your Joint Service Transcript. Simply provide us a with a copy of your Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript for evaluation.
While you are here, take advantage of our Veteran's Transition Center to relax or receive referrals to services. You can also join other veterans in the Student Veterans of America organization (virtual membership available for students attending online).
Active duty military, spouse, dependent children and DoD employees are eligible for the military tuition rate. Contact Stephen Ferguson for more information.
Thomas University will award credit toward your degree from prior regionally accredited colleges. Generally speaking, comparable classes in which you earned a "C" grade or better will be taken in transfer. Please provide an official transcript for evaluation of your prior college experience.
TU has a number of agreements with other institutions that allow students to maximize their transfer credits. Please visit our Education Partners page for details.